In an absolutely shocking turn of events, this evening I went for a run. You did?!? <— you. I did, indeed, I did!
I was home from work by 6pm, where I planned to quickly change and hurry back out the door to meet an old colleague for “drinks,” but a quick text from him later, and all of a sudden my night was free as a bird.
Wa-hoo! So obviously (obviously) I collapsed onto my bed, and pondered what new Netflix show to start. And then I felt that awful binge-eat-everything-EVERYTHING-in-the-house feeling creep in, and, well, just no. I’ve been so, so, so, sooooo good at eating healthy this week and staying on track, so I decided to do something instead of being super super f*cking lazy. And so *amazingly* I maneuvered (ugh, they’re so tight) my spandex on, turned the my music up loud, and headed out the door.
My goal was simply to “move it.” “It,” of course, being my bod-ay. I haven’t gone for a run in such a long time (umm, what? 2 months maybe…), so I gave myself no goals - simply to keep moving! I actually thought I would walk most of it, but there was something about having my sneakers on, and music up loud, which naturally lead me to run.
I am this.certain my thighs/legs are going to hurt tomorrow, because oh lordy-lord, it was a struggle. I ran/walked the majority of it, giving myself set markers, “run to the next set of lights” or “walk two driveways,” and this method actually really pushed my muscles and cardiovascular (because, whoa) I was hot n’ sweaty and out of breath when I arrived home.
Overall I moved 4.2km (2.6 miles) in 34 minutes, took 8 photos, sent three Snapchats, and concluded the run feeling pret-ty awesome. Feeling like I actually pushed myself, and now, as I type this to you (9:24pm), I have eaten a super healthy dinner, am about to watch Modern Family, and have absolutely zero awful binge-eat-everything-EVERYTHING-in-the-house feelings, which means I can happily say today was another successful lose-the-chub day!
This morning’s weight: 188
Happy Monday! Oh, what an oxymoron that is. Because with weather like this outside, it feels so, so wrong to be sitting in the not-so-great indoors. I had great plans to set some time aside today to chit chat about my weekend, but then, well, you know how it goes; a sunset post, and then projects & deadlines & work to boot! So the above are some photos, with little explanations to accompany, because my head space has fully moved into the working week:
- Tonight I’m going to a crafts night! A crafts night for Project Sunshine (which you should *really* go to!), where I’m also pret-ty certain pizza and booze will be offered to me in the dozens. But oh not I, I will survive… this huge, huge temptation.
- Then on Wednesday I have dranks with old Bank colleagues. I haven’t told them yet, but my drink of choice will be water. Mooohahahah.
- And on Wednesday evening I have the second annual Berlin Marathon reunion. Where again, my ninja-booze-fighting skills are going to have to come out in full force. Same as my salad-ordering techniques - as we’re heading to a pub with pretty much only pub grub on the menu.
- And then next weekend (and oh boy! oh boy! the count down is on for this) I am heading up north with my fam-jam to Algonquin to go hiking and kayaking and see the booooooutiful fall colours (weather permitting. and *shakes fist* the weather better permit, dammit.)
- What else? Oh, you want a calorie-counting-weight update? Oh you. Always so needy. Well, in a shocking turn of events I gained weight this week. This morning I was 190.1. *Stares off into space, as a single tear rolls down my right cheek.* I’ve been putting a valiant effort into drinking way more water than I usually do, so I’m hoping it’s simply water weight, because I’ve been trying so hard and have not gone over 1,500 calories for over 7 days. So yea… all joking aside, it sucks, a lot. Especially as eating out with friends last Friday I was so careful (and didn’t drink), and holy hell, weight loss is a bitch.
- Moving on from the depressing topic: I am sooooooo tempted to buy this for Lily for thanksgiving. I mean, c’mon. So cute.
- I have also been craving a run lately, which I know, right? Whoa. I’m going to try to move 5km tomorrow. I say ‘move,’ because at this point to say ‘run’ would be wishful thinking.
- And with that, I must go, as I need to run errands before I put my crafty pants on. But weight gain, or not, I’m trudging forward this week, with high hopes, because I know trying is better than not trying at all. (That being said, if I don’t go down soon - I’ll have to rethink this whole calorie-counting thing, as I think it’s full proof, so something must be wrong…)
And as Monday morning is upon us, another solid Fall weekend graces my iPhone’s Photo Album.
To spice things up, I’ll work through the weekend backwards as last night’s pink autumn sunset is still on the forefront of my mind. And yes, yes, I know. I am a sunset chaser, guilty as charged. Actually, when I dated Matt in Australia, it was a bit of a contention point between the two of us, because ohmygawd if there’s a sunset happening, I need to go see see it stat, and would promptly force us out the house for a walk to admire the great big sky’s artwork.
Fun fact: when I was thinking of names for my blog, I nearly chose “Sunset Chaser.” Because yup. I go sunset hunting almost daily, and my sunset skills have got so awesome I can nearly predict the type of sunset from the clouds in the sky & the time of year. (I still remember predicting this sunset perfectly to friends in New Zealand. Gold star for me!)
Anyways, long story short, I take a lot of photos of sunsets, and I’m not in any way shape of form sorry about it, because I just love them sooooo much.
I knew last night’s sunset was going to be a good one as the silver lining from the sun started hitting the clouds. Walk. Lake. Now. And so my sister, Lily and I moseyed on down to the lake to take in the beautiful pinks and blues that covered the sky.
I also really wanted to ask that couple for their email so I could email them the top photo I (super creepily took) of them, but figured that could come off supppppper weird. (Although, I’ve often wished it wasn’t. I’d love to take nice photos for people, and then offer it to them, but again, creepy).
Anywho, beautiful evening, to close off a stunning weekend.
I thought I had nothing to write about tonight. But oh, how silly of me. Because I have a knack of taking nothing, and blogging about something, and so here I am, sharing my day.
Let’s go bullet points, shall we? We shall, indeed, we shall:
- Today was a challenge, calorie-counting wise. At exactly 3:30 my office gathered together for our monthly “beer o’clock” shindig. There was cheese, and chips, and more cheese, and then beers galore! I stayed true to my no booze rule (oh hai five glasses of water), but picked at the cheese way too much (sigh).
- I left work and went
for a strollshopping, and somehow dropped nearly two hundred bucks in 3.2 seconds. I don’t write that much about money, and generally I’m pretty decent at saving it, but then every now and again, I just shop, and today was one of those days. A pretty new autumn sweater, a scarf with horses on it(!), mugs & a card for friends who just got engaged, “reading socks’ - which I LOVE, a bunny rabbit for Lily - I mean, c’mon, how could I resist that cuteness?, a new Essie nail colour (yes, I know, I have a nail polish problem), pink flowers, and then a bunch of mundane things I needed - like cleaning stuff, makeup remover, ect.
- I got home around 9, only to discover I left my keys on my desk (and I hadn’t even been drinking!) so I headed back to retrieve them. And then when I did finally get home I was in such an excellent mood (no clue why) I turned up the radio (and by radio I mean put that new song “Take me to the Church” on loud (I love the song despite the lyrics being so awful)) and cleaned my apartment like the Swiffer Master I am. Dear Swiffer, please sponsor my blog, Love Liz
- Then, after an internal debate about skipping dinner (#realtalk) because ohmygawd the cheese incident earlier wasn’t ideal (and I had just put 500 cal in my journal to cover it) I decided to be smart, and still make a decent dinner, so I wouldn’t go to bed starving and then tomorrow want to eat all the food in the world (#learning).
- So there you have it. Nothing turned into a little something.
- Although, wait! I want to keep going.
- So I’ve been thinking a lot lately about dating. Or, my lack thereof. I am on zero online dating sites right now. No tinder, no Okcupid, No Match or POF or whatever the cool ones are these days. And I’m also not dating anybody at the moment. It’s just me & my book getting down and dirty at night (and sadly (yet thankfully) it’s not 50 Shades of Grey, but rather a book about Down Under… THE COUNTRY). And. Well, let’s face it, I’m also cheating on my book lately with these late night conversations with you, my blog, but that’s so sad & depressing, let’s just keep that between you & I, mmmmmkay?
- ANYWHO. I’ll just say it. I don’t want to die alone with 32 cats (when I’m a dog person at heart) typing my feelings away on a computer, because let’s face it, I feel lonely. Nope, I don’t want that to happen at all. And as all signs lately are pointing and hollering and drawing a direct map of my life to “spinster,” quite frankly, I’m getting nervous.
- I was telling a friend this the other day at dinner, and she goes, “but Liz, there’s nothing wrong with you,” to which in my head I thought “I know.” (Because despite my weight complaints to you guys, I am actually very confident in who I am, and although this could be soooooooooooooooooooo naive of me, I don’t think there’s anything really “wrong,” with me, so my concern is more, good gawdddd, what if I just slip through the cracks. What if it just never happens for me. What if I lead this comfortable little life of mine, and just never happen upon another person who would want to spend many (many!) moments with me? Because it does happen. I’ve seen it. Fabulous, wonderful, older women & men, who looked for love, but it just never happened for them. That’s what I’m worried about. And in this day and age of heads down and iPhones out, nobody ever speaking to each other, and everybody around me is coupled up, it’s really hard to meet new people. and, well, these are the things I think about at 12:28am at night.
- Ahhh shit. I’ve written an essay here when I didn’t mean to. And I haven’t even said I painted my nails to match my flowers tonight (by chance, but still). And, total calories today were 1,402 + CHEESE. And I weighed 188.6 this morning (same as my starting weight, which scares me a lot, and then I cheated. And lol. F*cking weight loss.)
- And it’s officially Friday morning, and I, for one, am excited for this weekend of sunny weather, and little plans. Except plans to eat healthy, and… GO FOR A RUN LIZ. GOOOOOOOOOO!
#TBT to September 25, 2011: The Berlin Marathon with Wasila. Back in 2009 I was standing on the corner of Lakeshore and Bathurst waiting for the light to change (heading home on a failed 6k run), when a random runner (Wasila) ran up to the light and started talking to me. The light then turned green, and we continued on together chatting away. And then some how, some way, she inspired me to run four marathons(!), and became a close friend. Amazing how random life is. Note to self: go for a run 🏃💨 #timeflies #berlinmarathon (at BMW Marathon Berlin)
Oh, what a beautiful evening it was!
I had a really busy day today. A way-too-early start to kick it off, as I was working from our second office in Waterloo (the little city where Blackberry was born). Lots of meetings, lots of loose ends tied, and then I was back in the car headed back to the big city, only to hit bumper to bumper traffic. My sleepy eyes just wanted to go home and snooze, but the day was too glorious not to enjoy.
And so I (eventually) headed East to The Beaches, to meet my sister, brother-in-law, three dogs, and little Lily, for an evening stroll along the lake. And what a stunning evening it was! We’re in that awesome stage right now of crisp, beautiful summer-autumn days. A light sweater, a cool breeze, warm in the sun, chilly in the shade, and lush green grass between your toes. Beautiful evening, with excellent company (minus the dead animal one of the dogs rolled in. ugh) and a lot of light until nearly 7pm!And, of course, today marked day 3 of my calorie counting endeavor. I was a bit stressed about eating in Waterloo, as I had no idea where we’d head for lunch (as we usually order in as a group), but we ended up at a food court, where I ordered myself a greek salad. Breakfast included a quiche (in the car!), and dinner was a half a potato, with chicken, measured-out-exactly cheese, with a side of broccoli. Amazingly, today included NO snacks (which is very unusual for me).
Total calories: 1,310
My weight this morning read 188.0, which was discouraging, as it was up, but I know, I know, I know… and yes, I’m totally guilty of deciding to start a diet, then stepping on the scale, and wanting to see results *immediately.* I actually think this is one of the hardest parts about wight loss - my mom would always say, “weight gain is like taking the elevator up, and weight loss is like taking the stairs down." I’m hoping for a loss of about 1.5 - 2 lbs a week, so Mondays will be the only number on the scale I will care about.
Anywho, I am now watching the finale of Big Brother, painting my nails, and curling my hair, and hoping to be in bed by 11pm. Solid successful Wednesday, if I do say so myself.